Community Building Through the Earned Income Tax Credit
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Contact: Misty Davis-Event Coordinator 903-593-8438
Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day January 29th -- See if you qualify for up to $6,660
Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day is a nationwide effort to increase awareness about EITC and free tax preparation sites. There are volunteer organizations, such as Goodwill Industries of East Texas, that can help you e-file your taxes for free.
Tyler, Texas – Goodwill Industries of East Texas is proud to receive a $50,000 grant to participate in a pilot test to promote employee access to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), in coordination with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation (USCCF) Center for Education and Workforce.
• Increase the percent of EITC‐eligible workers who file taxes and claim EITC benefits.
• Reduce the time and cost of filing taxes and claiming EITC benefits.
• Reduce the error rate in claiming EITC benefits.
• Increase the percent who use their EITC benefits to improve their financial wellness including reducing debt and increasing savings.
The USCCF will use the pilot test to learn more about what level and combination of services are most cost‐effective in achieving results, especially with workers who have the lowest levels of EITC participation. These include workers who are Hispanic; live in rural areas; have disabilities or have family members with disabilities; do not have qualifying children; have limited proficiency in English; did not complete high school education; have limited work histories and low earnings; and experience changing work, financial and family and parental situations caused by events such as divorce.
Thanks to our partnership with the IRS, each year Goodwill Industries of East Texas assists low-income families with free tax preparation through our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Despite COVID-19 restrictions, these necessary services will still be provided in person.
• Appointments are required. Please visit our website at https://www.goodwilleasttexas.com/services-andprograms/free-tax-preparation/
• Click the “Schedule Appointment” link.
• The VITA preparation site is located at:
409 W. Locust Street
Tyler, TX 75702
Please review the guidelines and the list of required documents to make sure that your appointment goes as smoothly as
If you have any questions, you can contact us at (903)593-8438 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Goodwill Industries of East Texas Inc., 409 W. Locust St, Tyler, Texas 75702, 903-593-8438 903-593-8774 (fax)